Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Shops in Martock

I have posted pictures of some of the houses and a few of the businesses in Martock in previous blogs, but I thought I would post pictures of more of the businesses.
The first is the library, which is small but nice, with a pretty good selection of books. (I need the names of some good authors, as I am running out of the ones I know! )
Next is a picture framing shop that also sells original art work and prints.

The next two are the craft store. There is a gift shop upstairs and a tea room downstairs, in addition to all kinds of craft supplies. (The craft store still has not judged the birthday card competition, and it has been about 3 weeks since the deadline-----things move much slower here, and nobody seems to mind! Maybe I will still win something.......?)


An art gallery and a shop selling woodworking equipment and supplies are in the same complex as the craft store. The first photo is the art gallery (really high prices!) and the second the woodworking shop.

Next is the second-hand furniture store.



Next is the pharmacy. In many of the small towns, instead of a sign saying "Pharmacy" it will say "Chemist".

On the left is my favorite store, the bakery!
Next is the local fish and chips take-out place.
The Newsagent store sells all kinds of newspapers and magazines. This is also where you go to find out about bus schedules and other information about the town.

Next is one of the local pubs.
The White Hart Hotel has a nice restaurant serving traditional British food. On Sundays, like many restaurants, it has serves roast and Yorkshire pudding. (This is Julie's favorite place to "lose" her purse! ---- I just had to put that in, Julie ! ))
The next two photos show the two grocery stores in Martock. I usually go to the second one, which is a co-op store and has a much better selection than the first. Prices are higher than at the big grocery stores in Yeovil, but in an emergency, it is nice to have one close. I usually check out the marked down merchandise when I walk by in the mornings----I can find some pretty good buys on meat that way.

There are two gasoline ("petrol" here) stations in Martock, but I haven't gotten photos of those. They both look like the ones you would have seen in the U.S. 40+ years ago.

3 comments:

Staci said...

My favorite store name is the Martock Chippery! Sounds like a happy place! lol

Steve and Joan said...

Great tour of the town! I now can imagine your walk around town. Thank you for the guided tour of Martock.

Steve

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't have to show your CVS card at that pharmacy!