Friday, October 26, 2007

More New Words ---- and Pork Pie Hat

First, I finally found out what people here call our "jumper". They use the word "pinafore" for a ladies' or a girls' jumper. It does not necessarily mean a ruffled, dressy, or frilly pinafore, like we usually think of one for a little girl, but here the word "pinafore" refers to any type of our jumper.

I keep thinking that we must have heard all the interesting words here, and then, almost every day a new one crops up!
I was reading the newspaper, when I came across an interesting one. ---- What is the owner of a pub called? What do you guess? Answer coming tomorrow......

Tuesday night at Beryl and Alister's house they were mentioning a preacher who always wore a "Pork Pie Hat". They asked if we knew what that was, and of course, I didn't. The funny thing was that Ron had actually heard about one at work that same day! Alister brought out his hat to show us (I wish I had had my camera), and it is a very familiar looking hat, one with a small brim and the top part can be flat or slightly rounded. Alister's was made of plaid wool, but they can be of various materials. (I was surprised that Wikipedia tells about Pork Pie Hats----so go there if you want to see pictures---just type in "pork pie hat".)

The hat got its name because it looks similar to an English food, called a pork pie, which looks almost like our pot pies, with the crust around the edges being flat and the middle a little raised. Beryl said that traditionally it is made of very heavy crust, cooked with pork inside, and then injected at the top with pork gravy, which makes the middle even more raised.
The photo is of one from the local bakery, but it doesn't look much like a hat! It does not have the flat edge that I saw in some pictures.

4 comments:

Staci said...

Is the pub owner called a landlord? (that was my best guess after googling it)

Anonymous said...

Weird!

Steve and Joan said...

Maybe the owner of a pub is called a pubber? Maybe a Puberty... no that's something else... Pubboss?

Steve

Anonymous said...

I would call him "boss".