Saturday, October 13, 2007

Passion Flower


There is a vine that has been growing over our fence from our neighbor's garden, and one day I saw a beautiful flower blooming on it. I was excited to see lots of buds, so I am hoping to have lots more of the flowers. Each flower lasts only one day.
One of the gardeners here told me the flower is a Passion Flower and that many varieties of it are grown all over the world. (Many of you are probably familiar with it.) It became known by its common name because it reminded people of the Passion of Christ. The dark part in the center is said to be remind people of the crown of thorns.
Some species have an edible fruit that is a smooth yellow berry with lots of seeds, but it is not particulary good to eat. Leaves are crushed and put into capsules or tea bags for treatment of insomnia and anxiety and various other illnesses. Passion Flower products can be bought at health food stores. I found it interesting to read about the Passion Flower on the internet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flower. I believe Mrs. Herd has grown some here. Why don't you try to get some seed? It is one of the most interesting flower.

Anonymous said...

I have those growing on the wall outside by the garage! I thought they were so unusual and neat. Lucky for me, they don't seem to require any care because I haven't killed them yet!

Staci said...

How sad that it only lasts one day!

Steve and Joan said...

Very pretty! Don't you love having access to the Internet!