Thursday, January 24, 2008

More on Socialized Dental Care

On T.V. today I heard that 1 in 6 people do not have a NHS (National Health Service) dentist. That is because there are very few NHS dentists that take new patients. So even though everyone pays NHS fees through taxes, they do not see the benefits from their tax money. One man who was interviewed said that there was no dentist in his entire county that he could go to see!
The only way those people can see a dentist is either in the case of emergency or by paying for a private care dentist (without benefit of any insurance).
The average wait, even if you do have NHS dentist, is two years for any kind of routine treatment. Another man being interviewed said that he ends up with mainly emergency treatments because routine problems that are not treated become emergencies!
The only way that I got in to see a dentist back in the summer was because it was counted as an emergency because I had an infection.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed your posts the last couple of days; but due to some computer glitch I was not able to post any comments. The London pictures were great, but aren't you thankful that you don't have to live there??

Staci said...

Wow! That's crazy! I'm soooo glad that we don't have that system of healthcare! I like being able to go to the dr before a problem becomes an emergency!

Anonymous said...

I would not like their dental system. I have to start an expensive procedure next week, bridge, caps, etc. So, glad I have a great dentist to do the work.

Steve and Joan said...

If I had to wait two years to get an aching tooth fixed, I might have to use an ice skate. (reference to Tom Hanks movie Castaway where he knocks a tooth out of his mouth with an ice skate.)

Enjoy your time in England! See you back in Texas!!!