Friday, January 25, 2008

Card Making, part 2

For those of you who have not read my earlier posts, one of the ways that I have been keeping busy during the day here in England is learning to make greeting cards. I have had fun doing it and trying out new techniques------maybe I just keep trying new things and never perfect any of them!....

I started out by spending one afternoon watching Beryl make some cards. She has been doing it for quite a while. Then I bought a few supplies and tried some on my own. I entered a local contest in Martock with those first cards I made---some of you know how long it has been to find out the winners (from the close of the contest at the end of Sept. until now!)---and I found out that I won second place in one of the categories (no, there wasn't a category for beginners!) ! I won a gift certificate from the local craft store for 15 pounds, which is $30! (I am sure I spent more than that on my supplies to get started!) The 1st place winners were definitely better than mine---they were using techniques that I don't know how to do yet.
I got some cool stuff from the kids for Christmas---they gave me some quilling books and supplies, so my latest project has been learning how to do quilling. I said I would post pictures when I got good enough, but I decided to go ahead and post them now anyway! (I may not be in England until I get good!)
Words will eventually go in some of the blank places on some of the cards.




I think when we go home,I will miss having the time to work on something like this all day-----there are not many responsibilities here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look great!! You will have to make time to do them at home. Are you enjoying quilling? Not having ever tried it, it seems a little tedious. You should make the girls Valentine's cards.

Staci said...

Those look awesome! Way to go on your 2nd place!!

I actually received one of your cards the other day! GG sent me one on my birthday! It is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

I am anxious to see your new type cards. Congratulations on being second place winner. Maybe Ron will do all your chores and let you continue your crafts when you get home.