Monday, November 5, 2007

Local Bake Sale

Saturday a local church was having a bake/craft sale, so I went there, as it is a church that I normally pass on my walks. It looked more like a social hour for the local church members than a real sale----there was not much for sale! (I would not have stopped if it had been a garage sale at home!)
I did buy two homemade desserts. The first one is a fruit cake. The lady who made it told me that it is one that English people like to have with their 4:00 p.m. tea. It has mostly dates and raisins inside, and I think it is good. It tastes much like the ones my mom makes at Christmas.


The second was my favorite----little mincemeat pies. The lady told me that these are traditional at Christmas (just like home!). I guess the English have to get an early start on Christmas mincemeat pies since they don't have Thanksgiving! The grocery stores have been selling "Christmas Mincemeat Pies" for about a month now--the ones I have seen have all been small(like the ones in my photo) and sold in boxes of six pies. I had to try the grocery store ones a few weeks ago, but these homemade ones are much better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some of those mincemeat pies with my coffee this morning, You always liked mincemeat and so do I. I am glad you get to do so many interesting things and have all those experiences.

Anonymous said...

I would not eat either one of those things. Where's the chocolate??

Staci said...

I've never had mincemeat before either. I'm with Julie...where's the chocolate?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we need to have mincemeat pie for Christmas and make everyone try it.