Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Good Manners" in England

One interesting part about having a meal with the English people is watching how they eat. Good manners here is to hold the fork with the left hand and the knife with the right hand throughout the meal. They turn the fork upside down from the way we do and push food onto the back of the fork with the knife. Then they put the food into their mouths with the fork upside down. Try eating peas that way!
I thought that maybe this was just done at home, but I see people on T.V. at fancy restaurants eating that way!
Maybe this is where we get the idea of placing the fork on the left side of the plate and the knife on the right! (That's what they do, too.)
When we were in Germany, we noticed the same way of eating, so maybe it is common in other parts of Europe, too----maybe we are the ones that are odd!

Another interesting thing that we always notice is the way people that we are around say "me sister", "me wife", "me arm", "me job", "meself", etc. It is extremely common, even among fairly educated people, although I don't hear it on news shows, etc., on T.V. I have seen it some in books by English authors, and it was in one song that we sang at church---but not in most songs. I have looked for that song again, but I can't find it----I think it said something about "me blessings" ! I guess the proofreader didn't catch it! What I don't know is if this is common all over England or just here in the southwest part.

2 comments:

Staci said...

I can eat with my fork in my left and knife in my right hand...but I'm not sure how you eat peas with your fork upside down!!!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the pilgrims changed the way to eat just be different from Europeans.