Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas

Several have asked about Halloween celebration here. It was about the same as at home as far as costumes, parties, and trick-or-treating. However, I did not see many decorations. We do live in a very small community with a high percentage of elderly people, though, so it might be different in the larger cities. Also, in Martock, there are very tiny, if any, front yards and almost no one has a front porch. I did see lots of pumpkins in the stores, most of which had signs advertising "locally grown pumpkins".
We had only two children come to our door last night, so I guess Ron and I get to eat the left-over candy! Our time change was last Saturday night, so it was dark enough by 5:00 to turn on our outside light!
Yesterday morning BBC News had a story about how much higher the crime and vandalism statistics are on Halloween night than any other night----that is kind of like home, too....

Thanksgiving, of course, is not celebrated here, so it is not a holiday at all. No turkey, dressing, etc.............and no day off work for Ron! (Maybe I will take the day off!)

Christmas must be as big a holiday as at home. The stores have lots of Christmas merchandise already, but I have not seen any of the stores decorated with lights, etc. yet. I am curious to see if people decorate the outside of their houses. I have heard "Santa Claus" mentioned a couple of times, but people here say "Father Christmas" instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting! What kind of costume did the little girl next door wear? (I will try to post pictures of my kids later today.)

Staci said...

I've thought of Christmas in other countries before...but I never thought about other countries celebrating Halloween!

Anonymous said...

I guess Christmas shopping season is longer since people don't wait until after Thanksgiving.