Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Weather Report Phrases



I am always interested in the phrases used by the weather forecasters on television. When I hear one I like, I write it down. Here are some on my list:

Cracking start to the day
Odd splashes of rain
Sunny spells and showery spells
A little spot of rain today
Bits and pieces of rain
Shallow mist and cloud particles
Bits and bobs of rain
Slices of rain
Sharp showers
Fresher overnight
Spits and spots of rain
Sunshine on offer today

I hadn't realized that almost all of my phrases are about rain! I wonder why....

It will be interesting as the days get cooler to hear the new phrases!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised they don't report the weather like they advertise store hours - "as usual"!

Staci said...

I also noticed that all your phrases were about rain! At least they were mostly about "bit and bobs" of rain and not heavy rains! You'll have to be sure to pass along the cooler weather phrases. I'll try them out on the local Kansans and see if they think I'm crazy ;)

Anonymous said...

I like "spits and spots". I can just hear the accent! When we were at Yellowstone we heard a man ask a park ranger where he could "spot a bear" in an English accent. We mimicked that the rest of the trip.