Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Face in the Wall, part 2

Today I finally found out the story, at least as much as is known, about the child's face in the stone wall. (See my earlier blog if you don't know about it.)
I asked the old couple that run the post office across the street from the wall if they knew the story. They said that the man who currently owns the house bought it about 20-30 years ago. At that time the house did not have a stone fence, but there were piles of really old stones around the house. So the current owner decided to use the stones from the yard, and as he was building the wall, he discovered the stone child's face in among the pile of regular stones and decided to incorporate it into the wall. He guesses that it is about as old as the house, which was built in the late 1700's or early 1800's.
The real origin of the "face in the wall" will never be known!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Hmmm. I can't imagine finding that and thinking, "This will look good in the middle of my stone wall!"

Anonymous said...

That face on the wall is very interesting. I am glad that you all are having the opportunity to see so many interesting places. Keep the blogs coming.