Saturday, June 16, 2007

News from England 6/16/07

Ron has been working really long hours, even on Saturday, last week and this week, so there is not really anything to report in the way of site-seeing. One evening we walked a long way through the countryside---there are public footpaths through the edges of fields with steps over the fences to get to the next fields. We saw horses, barley fields, and wheat fields. We finally came out at a playground and football pitch (soccer field) and made our way back home on the town streets.
There were some students from Harding at church on Sunday. They were on a mission trip through England, and on Saturday they had hosted a kind of carnival in the city park---with puppets, face-painting, Bible stories, games, etc. Evidently it was well-attended. There was also another US couple, who were visiting with Beryl and Alister, the ones we have had dinner with several times.
Some of you might be interested in looking at the Bristol church webpage. You can take a virtual tour of the building and read about the ministers, etc. It is http://www.churchofchristbristol.org/

This week I have been doing some family research on the internet. It has been very interesting. I go between doing research on Ron's family and doing some on mine. I have not been able to find anything on the Haker's, but on Ron's mother's side I have gone a long way back in several families. I found a woman in the 1500's in Germany who was beheaded for witchcraft!! Right after that I started looking up things on my family, and I thought my family was much better, because I found some going back to the 1300's in Scotland who were land owners and were called Chieftans. However, after reading more, I found that these were from warring clans---very violent times! In fact, on one day a father and son were both beheaded by an opposing clan. This family was the McGregors, and their arch rival clan was the Campbells (Julie and Matt's name). When I told Julie about it , she said that she and Matt must be Romeo and Juliet!!
If I can ever figure out how to send links, I will send one to this Scottish information. (The address has a squiggly line in it and I don't know how to type that!----that shows you how good I am on computers!!)
I have found out a lot of other interesting family information, such as people who served in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the War of 1812, etc. I have the names of the battles, so that will be interesting to look at someday. I especially like it when I find details about the people's lives. I have also found photos of Ron's great-great grandparents and his great-great-great grandparents. He does not think that anyone in his immediate family has photos of those people.

4 comments:

Staci said...

All of you research is so neat! Is the squiggly line the one to the left of the "1" on the top of your keyboard? I have a squiggly line that's you hold shift and type the key next to the "1". It looks like this "~"

I'll have to look at the church website! I love being able to visualize the places that you're visiting :)

Staci said...

The church website is neat! I really like how they have the virtual tour set up! That's neat that one of the ministers (Jason) is from OK Christian! What a small world! Is he planning to live in England forever?

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Maybe you should not publish the information about the undesirable people in our family. I thought they had to be all superior even back when. Such an interesting study. I am glad you are having time to do this. Hope you find pictures we do not have. I enjoyed seeing the church and reading about it. Love, GG

Steve and Joan said...

Thank you for posting all this interesting history!

Steve