Saturday, June 23, 2007

Dental Care in the UK

I had a dental procedure done before I came to England, and it seemed that I had developed an infection. I called the dentist in Texas and was told that I probably just needed a round of antibiotics.

I had been to a pharmacy here in Martock, so I went there to ask about how to get a prescription. I was told that they would not accept one from Texas, so I would need to go to a dentist in England. She said that there was one across the street. I was surprised because I walk that way all the time and had not seen a dentist's office. It turns out that the entrance to the office was a small set-back door (with no windows). I went there and was asked if I was a "member". The girl couldn't tell me what she meant by "member", but she said that I had to call a Dental Help Line to see what dentist I could use. I could not just make an appointment.

I called the help line and explained the situation. The lady on the phone was very friendly and asked lots of questions. She said that she would check to see who could take me and what times were available. This was on Wednesday, and she said there was an opening in Yeovil at 10:00 on Thurs and one at another small town, Somerton, at 2:00 on Thurs. I opted for the Somerton appointment because I thought it would fit Ron's work schedule better, since he has to take me. The Dental Helpline woman said that it would cost $30. I thought that was interesting since she did not know whether the dentist would take x-rays or do anything else. I asked the dentist's name, but she said she couldn't give me a specific name.

When I got to the dentist on Thursday, the Helpline lady had not called to make the appointment, but the dental office worked me in. We noticed that there was a sign posted in the waiting room that said that all appointments for regular dental visits, including x-rays, cleaning, fillings, etc., would be $30. Dental appointments involving rootcanals, tooth extractions, etc., would be Level 2 Care and would be $87. Level 3 Care would include dentures and bridges and would be $366. Evidently there is no dental procedure that would be above that cost.

The dental office was a really old building, like most other buildings in the area. I don't know how many dentists work there, but there were at least 3. There were a lot of people coming and going. No one seemed to wait too long. My appointment did not take long, and the dentist thought I did need antibiotics, so she gave me a prescription. I asked what would happen if the antibiotics did not take care of the problem---would I return to her? She said that I would have to call the Dental Help Line again and see what I was told to do.

I asked the receptionist about a cheap place to get a prescription filled , and she said that everywhere is the same price. ( My prescription turned out to be $13 (without insurance). I don't know if every kind of prescription is the same price----I will have to ask that.) She said that they had an opening at their office for a "member", if I would like to be a member there. Evidently a citizen can be a member at a dental office and return to the same office all of the time, but since I am only going to be here a short time, I cannot be a "member"!

It was an interesting experience----quite different from home! I don't know how much the English citizens have to pay in taxes to cover the medical care, but at least for me, it was much cheaper than I expected! (It makes me wonder if there is a Medical Help Line, too...........guess we should find out.......)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is interesting! Is the whole healthcare system in England that way?? And if dental care is so cheap then why do British people have such disgusting teeth? I would like to know more about their healthcare...

Anonymous said...

I hope that solved your problem. It seems as if they have a good system and so cheap. But, I hope you do not need any medical help often and can stay well there.

Anonymous said...

You need to read Patrick's blog about his visit to the hospital in China. You can get to it from Caleb or Staci's blog.

Staci said...

I knew Caleb would have some stats for us to read :)