Saturday, June 16, 2007

More about our Scottish family.....

(This post will make more sense if you read my post from earlier today first.)

Thanks to Staci, I looked at my computer more closely and found the ~ (by my spacebar!) Now I can give the site http://members.tripod.com/~Hal_MacGregor/gregor/Gregor.htm
This site has a lot of really boring information---at least to a non-history person like me---but scan through the section titled "MacGregors Are Driven Out"

Dan Wright's great-grandmother's name was Sarah "Sallie" Ellen Magee. Way back in her family was James MacGregor (born 1618), who changed his name to William Mackgeehe (later became Magee) when he came over to the US from Scotland because of the bad connotation connected to his MacGregor name at that time.
William's ancestors that you may see in the article are Duncan MacGregor 1490-1552, Gregor Patrickson Gregor the Great 1460-?, Patrick Mhor Macgregor 1430-1518, Gregor Macgregor 1400-?, Iain Dubb Macgregor (3rd Chieftan of Clan MacGregor) , Iain Cam Macgregor (2nd Chieftan) died between 1360and 1390, and Gregor of the Golden Bridles.

To answer Staci's question about the youth minister at Bristol--Jason---I think he will stay in England, since he married an English girl. There is another American in the congregation that came over here 9 years ago and married an English girl. He speaks with an English accent, and I had no idea he was American! I hope Ron and I don't come home speaking "English"!

1 comment:

Staci said...

WOW! These people were ruthless! Can you imagine paying rent with a scalp?!? We're decendents of these people?!? Yikes!

I did get a laugh about the Campbells & MacGregor's being arch enemies!